My husband has always loved berry pies and I never have, mostly because of the crust. One day I decided to make him a treat, but I had to change of the crust, partly because I couldn't stand the taste and partly because shortening is terrible for your body and I refused to buy it. That pie turned out pretty good and it was the first berry pie I actually liked.
Fast forward to a couple years ago when we found our our son cannot eat any wheat or gluten, I had come up with a new pie crust which is just as amazing as the first.
This pie only has one picture, because it never is around long enough for me to snap a shot of it!
For the pie crust:
1 1/2 c gluten free flour (I use Pamela's)
1 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 c coconut oil (if liquid, refrigerate a bit to firm it up)
4 T water
1. Mix the flour, sugar and salt together. Cut in the coconut oil until mixed well. Then add the water and continue cutting the dough until it is completely mixed.
2. Take a little more then 1/2 the dough and evenly press it into an 9 inch pie pan and up the sides.
3. Bake the crust at 475 for 10 minutes until browned
4. Remove from the oven and add pie filling***
5. Press the rest of the dough on a parchment paper into a circle the size of the top of the pie pan. Quickly and carefully flip the dough onto the pie and peel off the parchment paper. Pinch the edges to the pan and cut some slits in the center of the crust to vent.
For the blueberry pie:
5 c frozen organic wild blueberries (Trader Joes)
3/4 cups sugar
3 1/2 T gluten free flour blend (I use Pamela's Bread Mix)
juice of 1 lemon
1. Make the pie crust above, ***add the filling then the top.
2. Bake at 425 for 10 minutes
3. Reduce temp to 325 and bake for 40 more minutes
4. Broil 1-3 minutes until the top is browned
5. Remove from oven and cool a bit and eat warm and enjoy!
Kristen and Premier IFM