Sunday, February 20, 2011

Making a pattern?!

I have found the thing I love most about sewing is figuring out the pieces and how to put them together. I have wanted to learn how to make my own pattern forever but had no idea how. My sewing training consisted of, learning how to sew when I was about 8 years old. My cousin taught me to sew a basic straight line and I helped her with curtains. Then my dad bought me my first sewing machine, a little tiny kid Singer. (My son wants one now.) Anyway, I sewed my cousin a baby blankie with that machine, basically a square of fabric that I sewed binding around the edges. After that I have no idea what happened to that sewing machine. I don't ever remember using it again. 


The next time I remember sewing was when I was in college, I was renting a room from a close family friend and she taught me to sew from a pattern. After that, my dad bought me the machine I have now and I got all kinds of cute little patterns and learned a ton. The thing I liked least about sewing was cutting out the pattern pieces on the fabric. Back then, I would say that I liked putting the pieces together, sewing them and watching them take shape. But, I started really wanting to make my own patterns, so I searched and searched. Finally, I found, Design-it-Yourself Clothes by Cal Patch. I was so excited. I might really be able to draft sleeves. So cool!! Anyway, one of the things the book taught me is how to copy clothing you have in your own closet and make patterns from those without even cutting the clothes up.


The first thing I wanted to make was my favorite tank top. I love tanks, I wear them almost every day. Of course I wanted my favorite one in every color. Here is my first tank top from my home made pattern.

I was still a little intimidated by sleeves. One day when I was in JoAnns, I found this beautiful green jersey knit. I had to have it. I also knew what I wanted right away, one of those little jersey cardigans. But, I had no idea how I was going to put it together. Not to mention I still hadn't tackled making sleeves on my own. Even so, I began looking at every little jersey cardigan I could find until one day, my sister-in-law was wearing exactly what I had in mind. Of corse I had to barrow it and make the pattern. Since, you can't trace sleeves, I used my little book and I finally know how to draft them. It's really quite easy! Oh my goodness, it was so fun too. Ta-da...


One thing I loved about this cardigan (if that's what it's called) is, there are no hems. The edges are just surged. Oh, how I want a surger. Since I don't have one I had to zig zag the edges. It turned out much better then I expected. Someone that doesn't know how to sew doesn't even notice the difference.


It hangs longer in the front, but not a ton. It drapes just beautifully. :-)


Ok, now I'm just having fun making my husband take pictures that I don't like being in. Oh, and it is green, even if just in color. I am going to try to make my daughter one out of the left over fabric.

I hope you are inspired something crafty today.

I'm linking with...


The Girl Creative

Keeping It Simple

2 comments:

  1. It turned out great. Thank you so much for joining the More The Merrier Monday Linky Party. Be sure to come back next week. I look forward to seeing more of your projects.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to make one of these! I've yet to successfully make clothing for myself.

    pandiolalane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete