Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Little Indian Vests from Paper Bags

I got the wonderful job of cutting Indian Vests out of paper bags for C's kindergarten class. Yes, I am being sarcastic. Anyway, how hard could it be, right? Well, they were supposed to look like this...


And this is what I did...


So, I searched and searched and I couldn't find any picture tutorials. Finally, I folded the regular vest back up like a bag and I saw how simple it was. Now I can make it very easy for anyone else that wants to do the same.

First you need a brown grocery bag.


Next, open it up and cut that little "V" at the bottom of the bag.



Now, flatten the bag and cut straight up the middle. I cut my line on the back of the bag. That way the printed side will end up on the inside back of the vest.



Fold the bag in half and cut out a 1/2 circle for the neck. Also, cut the bottom off to make your vest the desired length.



Unfold the bag and flip it inside out. You now have your vest.

You can crumple it to give it that leathered look and you can add fringe to your bag.


Our kindergardeners are going to do that part themselves.

Well, there you have it, 22 vests cut and ready. I'm so glad it's done.


Kristen

19 comments:

  1. Kristen- you are totally saving me! We have AWANA tonight and they are supposed to dress like a pilgrim, indian, or tukey- I just grabbed two grocery bags, followed your pictures, and are letting them color some "native american" designs- we are good to go!
    thank you!!! *Amy Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think that this was a great page :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best page on the web to explain clearly with photos! Turning the bag inside out helps to hide on the printed information on the bag. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same comment...you are saving me Need a cowboy and an indian. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your pics and instructions!! I have to make 17 of these for my daughter's K5 class...These are so much easier than the instructions the teacher gave me!! Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic way to make Indian vests. I made 15 in about 1/2 hour. I like how the print is on the inside. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, wish I had moms like you in my class! I will be cutting 30 little vests this evening! My family loves this time of year!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! the best tutorial yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was such a great help!! thanksgiving is coming up and I needed to make paper bag costumes for the kids...oh my thank you for this tutorial!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praise and Thanksgiving for such a great and easy-to-make Native American vest! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep up the great work! We are having Fall Harvest Festival - Thanksgiving with 15 other Stay at Home Moms at my house. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for these easy-to-read instructions! I was so afraid that I was going to ruin all of the paper bags but I got it right the first time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful vest! Thank you so much for such easy instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was such a big help!! Making alphabet vests for my kindergarten class and our first attempts turned out much like yours!! Thank goodness my aide found your site!! We are set to go!! Thanks : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks! Great page!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks! I'm not the crafty type but this was very simple. Bought 2 bags in case I messed up the first one but didn't need it. Your instructions and pics are very user friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great picture tutorial. You just about saved my elementary school grandparent's day skit. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lifesaver for the Davy Crockett first-person book report costume

    ReplyDelete