Monday, December 12, 2011

Rag Rug Tutorial

Since I had so many questions on the last rag rug, I decided to do a tutorial. Also, my sister has wanted one really bad, so this is her Christmas present.





You will need:
Fabric - Lots of fabric in colors you would like to see together. You can buy new or use old scraps.
Scissors
sewing machine or thread and needle

First, I cut my fabric in strips about 1/5-2 inches.


Then I take strips and start braiding. It's helpful to have 2 long strips and 1 short strip. The short strip you can pull through so the bottom doesn't braid on itself.



When you run out of fabric, sew another piece on.


When you think your braid is long enough, start sewing it together. Don't finish off the braid yet, just incase it's not long enough. I thought mine was long enough, but it wasn't so I just added on.


I first take the beginning and fold it on itself about 10-12 inches. Here is where you can hand sew, but I just stick it in my machine and zig zag. You have to be careful not to pull the braid tight or it will start to turn into a bowl. But, you also can't bunch the braid together too much or it will get ruffly. You just have to find that balance of even braid.


The zig zag stitches show, but they don't stand out when the rug is on the ground.


See, just bump the braid up next to itself as you sew.


Have fun putting your scraps to good use and not waisting!



3 comments:

  1. thanks for the tutorial. I've been wanting to make a rag rug, but didn't know how.

    megan
    craftycpa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who would provide your customers with opportunities to gain a strong foundation in affiliate Student Loan People,
    viral video student loan people, viral student loan
    people etc. Small businesses consistently generate revenue.

    ReplyDelete