Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Gluten & Corn Free Holiday! Candied Yams



This whole world of food sensitivities has been a bit rough, but after a couple years of working on recipes, substituting things and finding what works it is starting to come together for me. If you are gluten, dairy or corn free, don't worry, you can still enjoy your holiday favorites. Today's recipe is Candied Yams. I never liked them until I tried my husband's aunt's recipe. Actually, I never liked any of the Thanksgiving meal when I was younger and now that I do, I can't eat any of it without being in pain.

I have 2 varieties of this recipe, today we are going to do the Gluten & Corn free version. Tomorrow we will go with dairy free also.

You will need:

1 c gluten free flour (I use Pamela's Artisan Gluten Free Flour)
1 c gluten free oats
1 c brown sugar, softened
2/3 c butter

2 cups cranberries
pure maple syrup
5 fresh yams

This picture is a smaller batch...


1. Peel and chop yams. 
2. Boil yams till tender but not mushy.
3. While the yams are boiling, mix gluten free flour, gluten free oats, brown sugar and butter in a bowl until crumbly.
4. When the yams are cooked, put them in a baking dish and drizzle with maple syrup. Add the cranberries and 1/2 the crumb mixture. Mix it all up. Top with remaining mixture.
5. Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

If you are very adventurous in the kitchen you can make some homemade marshmallows and when the yams are finished, top with marshmallows, broil them till golden and watch them closely so they don't catch fire.

Another batch without the extra crumb mixture on top.


Don't forger to check out gluten-free spiced cranberries!

***Update: Trader Joe's has some already chopped and pealed yams. If you don't mind non organic this is an easy option to make the meal a lot quicker.

Kristen and Premier IFM

No comments:

Post a Comment