Sunday, January 8, 2012

Gluten & Corn Free Holiday - Cranberries

I never really like cranberries growing up. It didn't matter if they were fresh or canned. They just weren't good. Until a quite a few years ago, a friend brought some to our Thanksgiving dinner. She had given me a jar a couple weeks earlier, but I hadn't opened them yet, so I didn't know what I was in for.



The difference in these are the spices added. They make every part of the meal better, mix them with stuffing, add them on top of turkey, sneak a little into the green beans. I just can't get enough of them. Then the next day have them on a gluten free bagel with cream cheese.

This is one recipe I have not changed!

Recipe:

4 c cranberries
1/2 c water
3 cinnamon sticks
5 whole cloves
5 allspice berries
2 c sugar

Directions:

Put the cloves and allspice in a little spice bag or a tea thingy. Yep, that's what I call it. Add that to the water and cranberries. Cook till they pop. Add the sugar and cook down a bit.


That little white thing is cheese cloth. The kids played with my tea thingy one too many times and I don't have any spice bags so I made one.


The cranberries are perfect on pancakes! I jar them and eat them year around because you can only get fresh cranberries in the store during November and December.


Kristen

1 comment:

  1. Looks so good! I only discovered I liked fresh berries a few years ago!!

    ReplyDelete