Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Gluten-Free Bagels

We love bagels in this house! When my dad was alive, we would meet at the bagel shop every Sunday morning from before I was pregnant with little C till after L was born. It was at least a good 4 years that we held this tradition. Even today, the workers still know us and love to see the kids growing. However, now that we know little C can not have any wheat or gluten, we can not go to our wonderful Bruggers.

I have found a bagel at Trader Joe's (of course my favorite store), but it doesn't have the texture of a "real" bagel, but, at least the kids like them and they can still have their cream cheese, unlike me.

Tonight, I tried my own recipe using the wonderful Pamela's Bread Flour. Apparently, they were "Good enough to eat," according to little C. I guess that's not bad. My dinners often are not good enough to eat and need to get choked down (according to these two).


I used a recipe I found on line for regular ol' New York Bagels. I forgot how sticky dough from this flour is and how difficult it is to work with. I ended up adding extra flour and although the shape wasn't perfect, they were pretty good and had that bagel texture. After boiling the bagels, I sprinkled cinnamon and sugar on the tops, then baked them.


Unfortunately, I didn't re-oil the pan after I cooked the first trial bagel. That was a bummer.


I think I will try them again using the bread recipe on the back of the Pamela's bag. Maybe the dough won't be so sticky.

Here is the bread mix I love!

No comments:

Post a Comment