Thursday, February 24, 2011


I am so excited that I found this wonderful tutorial on Made. Pants are now SO easy. Yes, I did already try it and yes, C didn't like them, but I decided to give it another go. I was looking through my stash for an old piece of clothing to line the new pants with so they wouldn't be scratchy and found this instead.

Perfect, this shirt is light weight, soft and plaid. C loves plaid shorts, so I decided to make shorts instead of pants. Now that I know how to do pants, I just made them shorter for shorts. C also wanted 2 pockets in front and 1 in the back. I will show you how I did those.

First, I took off the front pocket on the shirt and saved it for the back pocket of the shorts, then I ironed the shirt and traced the shorts I was copying as a pattern.

Then, I cut out the shorts and sewed them together, you can find how to do that at MADE. Next, I was ready for the pockets. I did them different then she did, so here is how...

Notice the pockets are sewn a little over the side seam. I have also noticed when I copy pants and shorts that the front leg is a little more narrow then the back. I don't know why that is, I'm assuming the bum takes up room so it helps for the seam to be more at the side of the leg. If any of you happen to know the actual reason, I'd love you to share.

Anyway, back to the pockets, I drew the same shape and added a little, not bias, but same idea over the opening.

I really do need to re-do that ironing board cover! I just need to get motivated. Ok, back to the pockets again. After I sewed the opening side, I zigzagged around the edges, folded and ironed them in.

Then I pinned them a little over the seam line and top stitched around.

Now, onto the back pocket. I took the shirt pocket trimmed it up a little, zigzagged then folded in the edges, pinned and top stitched again. I didn't have to do anything special to the opening because that was already done since it was the pocket off the shirt.

All that is left is the waist. I realized after I cut the top of the shorts that I didn't leave an allowance for the casing. I decided to take the part of the shirt where the buttons were and make that the waist band. I cut the buttons off and cut the edge off the shirt. Then I put it around the top of the shorts like you would a blanket binding.

I pinned that and sewed all the way around the waist. After that I threaded the elastic through...

And sewed the opening closed.

They turned out great this time. These shorts have become C's favorite and my husband approves. No more potato sack comments. :-) Everybody is happy and I didn't throw away an old shirt.

Here is what's left of the shirt...

There is too much left to trash, now what to do with it. Maybe it will become strips for a rag rug. We'll see.


1 comment:

  1. Another great project. I cannot keep up with you!!!! Thank you for sharing all your creativeness.
    I just awarded you the Stylish Blog Award on my blog.