Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Playdough

Playdough is such fun. There is something relaxing about smashing it in your hands. Today, I felt like I needed to do something for L, since we always seem to be running around so I decided we could make some playdough. L got to pick the color, add all the ingredients and mix them. I just measured and cooked.


Here is the recipe I use, I got back when I taught preschool in college over 10 years ago.


I don't know why I haven't recopied it or put it in my book. But it never seems to get lost. I opened up my cook book cabinet and there it was sticking out at me.




I like to add the food coloring to the water, it makes it blend easier. I also use warm-hot water. L wanted pink so I added about 6 drops of red food coloring.


After L stired all the ingredients, I secretly stirred it better then added it to my only non-stick pan, my wok. Playdough is a pain unless you use a non-stick. I know they are really unhealthy, but it is the only one I have and I only use it for things that I can't seem to get off my other pans.

Stir constantly while cooking your playdough and eventually it will go from that to this...


When it looks like that, put it onto the counter and kneed it until it is smooth. Then let the little hands dig in.


Aren't they cute little hands?


So, why is this playdough green? Well, here are my reasons:
1. There is no waste in packaging
2. There are no preservatives
3. Since it's all natural, it's biodegradable
4. It's non-toxic, salty, but edible


Now, I know there are a ton of playdough recipes out there, but this one works great for me. You are welcome to share your playdough recipes that you love, especially edible ones.


Here is my recipe:
2 c flour
1 c salt
4 t cream of tartar (4 t =1 T, 1 t)
1/4 c oil
2 c water
food coloring


optional for sent:
1 pkg of unsweetened koolaid

giveaways

No comments:

Post a Comment