Monday, May 9, 2011

Clothing Labels

Oh no!! I washed my shirts with the labels sewn into them and the ink washed right out. I am so sad. I need to figure out a way to make it permanent. I heard just press it with a very hot iron. That doesn't work. Maybe if I soak it in vinegar.

Well now, I just discovered what can be done with freezer paper. I've seen it all over blogs, things done with it, but I never knew how. I stumbled upon a little youtube video on making home made clothing labels. I have wanted labels for SO long! But they are so expensive that I can't really justify buying them when I sew mainly for my family or gifts. When I saw this video I was so excited, I could hardly wait to get to the store, too bad I saw it at 10 pm last night. But, guess what did first thing this morning...


Yep, I bought my first pack of freezer paper. C was so excited to see what it was as soon as quiet time after school was over, we opened it up and got to work. First, I cut a piece the size of a piece of paper, then cut my fabric that size also.


Here's all my pieces. Now, I only need the freezer paper and the fabric. I ironed the fabric to the shinny side of the paper.



Apparently, I didn't iron it good enough because this is how my first attempt turned out after I yanked it out of the printer.



Lovely! I was so sad thinking it wasn't going to work. Then I decided to try to iron more with a hotter iron and look what I got. :-)


I really couldn't contain my excitement. I had to sew a shirt just so I can put a tag on.

After the labels are printed, just peal it off the freezer paper. C did this part for me.


Here is a sneak peak at what I made. I have to show you the label on something, but I'm not ready to post this top. Tomorrow, after I get a picture wearing it I will post. I just love how the label looks! I love the raw edges and the unbleached muslin I used. It looks very natural. The best part... they don't itch one bit.


Oh, freezer paper, a new found love. Oh the possibilities. I am so excited about this. I know many of you are probably going, duh! Where have you been? That's ok though, I don't mind.

Here is a little green idea for this. You can use scraps of solid fabric to iron on your paper. Something new to do with those odd shape scraps that are not long enough to go into a basket.

Kristen

4 comments:

  1. A great idea and nice tutorial.
    Thanks for the post. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea!

    Did you have to use a laser printer or can you use an ink jet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you ever solve the "wash out" problem? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete