Thursday, May 5, 2011

Granola

I've been wanting to find the best granola recipe that doesn't have too much sugar. I love granola and so do my kids, but it is filled with sugar so we don't buy it much. Today I tried a new recipe that I will share with you. It's pretty good. I will share with you the original recipe and then how I made it with a few changes.


Here is the orignial recipe for Cherry, Almond and Cinnamon Granola
4 c rolled oats
2 c sweetened shredded coconut
2 c sliced almonds
1 1/2 c dried cherries, chopped
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/3 c good honey
2 t ground cinnamon

Well, I miss read the recipe to begin with, I thought it was cranberries. I thought that would be good so I started making it with cranberries. That was my first change.


Then I didn't have coconut so I added a little vanilla coconut milk instead. Well, L did, not me.


Since I didn't have coconut, I went looking through the pantry for something else to add. I found this date topping. We added a couple handfuls each. It's good and just dates in little pieces, no sugar added.


Then we put it into the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes. Every 5 minutes I stirred it and took it out.


It was good! I did miss the coconut, but still we ate tons of it already.

Here is my recipe:
Cranberry, Almond and Cinnamon Granola

4 c rolled oats
1/3 vanilla coconut milk
2 c sliced almonds
1 1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/3 c good honey
2 t ground cinnamon

1/2 c date topping

One thing great about this recipe is, it's huge. If you have 2 kids split the recipe for each and they can each make their own batch at the same time. If that is yours are like mine and want to do every part and not take turns.

I hope you enjoy the recipe as much as I did.

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment