Monday, April 18, 2011

The Garden is Planted

I am SO excited! I have been waiting and waiting for the huge plant sale at the arboretum. Finally, this weekend it was here.

Here is what my planter boxes have looked like since we got a huge truck full of soil that we had to shovel into the boxes.


At least I have some other stuff growing in the garden all year.



We just planted this a few months ago. I actually planted 3, but this is the only one that really took off. The other two are small.


Lots of onions and some garlic.



I got to the arboretum by about 10:30 and it was already a good 85 degrees. That's ok, I just wanted all my organic veggie plants. Once we got in I went straight to the organic booth.

All in all, I ended up with 48 plants for about $56. I know it doesn't look like 51 plants, but some of those like the pole beans have 4 or 5 in one container. They are pretty easy to split.


Here is my first planter box, remember the peppers? Well, I got one more and added some basil and garlic to the box. The garlic didn't transplant well so it doesn't look so pretty. I also added one more pepper. A yellow one.


You can click on that picture to see the 5 bush beans in one little container. :-) That is so exciting.


In this box, I have 12 corn, 8 pole beans and 4 cucumbers.


Here I have, 1 crimson watermelon, 5 bush beans, 1 muskmelon, 1 zuccini, 2 butternut squash, 1 squash with a hard green outer shell and the rest I don't know because Mr. C planted them and didn't keep the tags. So, it will be a surprise. But there are 16 plants in all. So fun! I will have to show pictures in a month so you can see the growth. I just learned that the butternut and other squashes with the hard outer skin will keep all winter long. I hope I get a ton.


Here are 5 tomatoes, 3 celery (transplanted), 2 peanut plants and 1 egg plant. I am totally excited about the peanut plants. They will be very fun!


Last, I have these 2 cucumbers that Mr. C is trying. It's a new self watering space saver thing. So far, so good.


Can't wait to see it grow and eat it up!


I am linking with:

3 comments:

  1. I am jealous I have wanted a garden so so badly. This is incredible

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. How did you make the self watering system for the cucumbers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your garden looks wonderful. I can't wait to do one in my yard this year! I am having a Homemade Year in 2012 on my blog Blissful and Domestic and would love for you to link up to my Homemade Year linky Party:>

    http://blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com/p/my-homemade-year-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete